Saturday, May 2, 2015

Review: We All Looked Up


We All Looked Up
We All Looked Up by Tommy Wallach

My rating: 1 of 5 stars



I think I should have realized this book was gonna disappoint me when I noticed at Target that it was grouped not with the other sci-fi and/or fantasy-type books (Divergent, The 5th Wave, Cassie Clare's books, etc. etc.), but instead with the John Green-type books. Never mind the fact that this isn't really much of a dystopian, that it does lean more towards contemporary, but it seemed like an odd arrangement at the time.

Now, I know better. Damn, but this book sucked. Half the POV characters were unlikable (especially the one who thought 80s music was the most vile invention in the history of humanity), and the other half didn't do much to make me like and/or sympathize with them. And as for the whole story? I'm sorry, but Cabin in the Woods did a much better job of showcasing the terrible selfishness and unworthy-of-living-ness of our generation. It actually entertained, rather than pressed on with a relentlessly dreary tone.

And the open ending, while not totally unexpected, still made this book very much not worth the hype. In my headcanon, this world suffered the fate Community predicted for its 'verse if the show were to be cancelled after Season 5. In other words, total meteor-induced destruction. And you know what? It deserved it.

Oh, and one more thing - I should also have guessed this book would be one I hated because Mr. Wallach's agent is one of many who rejected me. Now I know why - if this book is anything to go by, Red Rain really isn't that guy's style. :(



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment