Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Review: The Replaced

The Replaced by Kimberly Derting

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


Not quite as "holy freaking Christmas cake" as its predecessor, largely due to the romance getting a little too much at times. There were points where I thought Derting was trying to set up a love triangle that ultimately didn't seem to go anywhere, which was pretty weird.

But then in the final third, the story gets a much-needed rebound. And what a rebound it is - with the explanation of this title's significance (very disturbing), and that one final moment in the epilogue, with the speaking-in-tongues thing. There, at last, is the "holy freaking Christmas cake" moment I was looking for - along with the reminder that, unlike a lot of other recent books with "Sequel to X" on its cover, this one isn't the end of a duology, but the middle of a trilogy.

All right now, Ms. Derting. I'll be waiting for Book 3, maybe a little less patiently than I expected I would after getting halfway through this one...


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment