Saturday, August 22, 2015

Review: Mindwar

Mindwar Mindwar by Andrew Klavan
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Klavan instantly surprised and entertained me with his Homelanders series, but this one was a bit of a pain to slog through in comparison. Not that it was a bad story, though. It was a pretty entertaining little mixture of Homelanders and The Mortality Doctrine. But it was quite complicated compared to Homelanders, much less futuristic and deadly than The Mortality Doctrine, and overall actually pretty middle-of-the-road. Also, I found it a lot harder to connect to Rick than to Charlie, largely because of Klavan's decision to write this book in third-person instead of first like Homelanders. We're less in Rick's head as a result, especially when the story temporarily leaves Rick to focus on the bad guys and what they're doing. Several times.

However, it's a good enough story on its own that I'm more than willing to pick up the sequel whenever I can find it at the library. And that's exactly what I'll do sometime in the near future.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment