Sunday, August 16, 2015

Review: Positive: A Novel

Positive: A Novel Positive: A Novel by David Wellington
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I was surprised when I first went into the GR page for this book (I'd picked it up blindly at the library) and found it being compared to Justin Cronin. Um...no. Cronin's acclaimed novel The Passage is a long, sprawling novel which I found very, very overrated. The comparison to Guillermo Del Toro was much more on the mark for this epic piece of postapocalypse. From the get-go, Positive is dark, dangerous, and visceral. Between the smelly shellfish at the start, Finn's mom going zombie, and all the trouble he gets into afterwards with marauders and death cultists and the like...sweet Jesus. My balls still hurt for Finn from that one scene about 120 pages in, too.

There probably won't be a sequel to this one, but if there is, I'll definitely be first in line for it at the library.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment