Saturday, September 26, 2015

Review: All Fall Down

All Fall Down All Fall Down by Ally Carter
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I've never read Ally Carter before, but I've heard a lot about her, and I figured this would be a great place to start. I wasn't disappointed.

It's an unusual setting - a fictional Mediterranean nation called Adria, which has been occupied by about every historical empire or army under the sun, from the Mongols to the Romans. It sounds a lot like Malta, in fact.

The characters are cool - starting with protagonist Grace, who comes across as a hybrid of Mara Dyer (without supernatural powers) and a younger Kate Beckett, and also including her new friend Noah, one of those athletic and adorkable types of an unusual ethnic mix who just begs to have Tyler Posey fan-cast as him.

The writing sags a bit in the middle or so, but the ending, when Grace's memories are revealed and we get a cliffhanger that's oddly reminiscent of the close to Gotham Season 1, makes up for it on so many levels.

When the second book comes out, I'll do my damnedest to ensure I'm first in line at the library for it.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment