Friday, September 4, 2015

Review: Half-Off Ragnarok

Half-Off Ragnarok Half-Off Ragnarok by Seanan McGuire
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I knew this book was gonna switch POVs to Alex instead of Verity, so I was expecting a little bit of tone change to happen. I just wish it didn't feel so serious. For some reason, the humorous moments didn't come nearly as often as in the previous two books. Fewer pop-culture references per page may have had something to do with that. Not to mention fewer Aeslin mice per chapter - although they were there, thank God.

So, while the style shifts are gonna take some getting used to, at least they're happening now that we've got a new hero in the house. Yeah, not every Seanan McGuire lead has the instant Dead-Like-Me-style prickly charm of Verity or Toby. And I really enjoyed Shelby's presence, especially for that supremely adorkable scene where she encounters Crow for the first time. With apologies to those unstoppably cute Aeslin mice, you've actually been outdone. :)

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment