Sunday, September 6, 2015

Review: The Necromancer

The Necromancer The Necromancer by Jonathan L. Howard
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Feeling like The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus by way of Jim Butcher (or perhaps Jasper Fforde, based on the semi-frequent use of comedic footnotes), this book is just as "fiendishly funny" as its GR blurb promises. Not to mention the dust jacket, which provides a fictional bio for its title character and ends on this gem of a line: "Where he lives is none of your verdammt business." Maybe I've seen National Treasure one too many times (actually, that's impossible, but the point still stands), but verdammt is one of my favorite foreign cuss words by far, which made that line extra-funny to me. It helps that Cabal, being unambiguously German, provided me ample opportunities to practice my Christoph Waltz impression (why it sounds more Scottish than Austrian, I have no idea, but it's a work in progress all the same.)

Since I'm gonna be finishing up the Nightside series soon, I think I may have just found a pretty neat new urban fantasy series to which I can become easily addicted. :)

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment