Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Review: After the Red Rain

After the Red Rain After the Red Rain by Barry Lyga
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Not unlike Chris Weitz's Young World books, I've seen a metric ton of bad buzz and/or mediocre reviews for this new entry in the crowded dystopian genre, largely because it is, in fact, a new entry in the crowded dystopian genre. It's also a very different book than what I've come to expect from Barry Lyga - a different kind of dark, with a lot less bleak hopelessness. And more sci-fi elements in the forefront. Especially when the narrative finally reveals the true nature of Rose's powers - which I won't spoil here, but let's just say that it's unique enough that it single-handedly saves the book. And that Ksenia Anske may be gnashing her teeth, wishing she could have come up with it herself.

There probably won't be a sequel to this one, but if there is, I'd pick it up for sure.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment