Thursday, October 1, 2015

Review: Stone Rider

Stone Rider Stone Rider by David Hofmeyr
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

High promise helps propel this seriously action-packed dystopian story - high promise, and high action, and high intensity. The author-acknowledged shades of Mad Max and old westerns help - and, thankfully, this story also doesn't overdo it on the bizarre prose that ruined Blood Red Road (the closest match to this book I can think off the top of my head) for me. My favorite part by far was the revelation of Kane's true identity - which seems implausible at first, but it's carefully explained why it's actually just the opposite. Kane in general was fun to read about, especially because of the fact that he's basically a hybrid of Oliver Queen (the mystery-shrouded antihero who's not afraid to show his battle scars) and Number Nine (with just the right levels of lunacy - and now it's especially extra-funny because so many Lorien Legacies fans, myself included, fan-cast Robbie Amell as Nine - so, basically, Kane is the apocalyptic version of an Amell cousin.)

So, Mr. Hofmeyr's planning a second book? Hope Blood Rider hits the shelves in 2016 as scheduled. In the meantime, I've added his literary agent to the ever-growing list of query recipients for Red Rain...

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment