Thursday, January 21, 2016

Review: The Bone Labyrinth

The Bone Labyrinth The Bone Labyrinth by James Rollins
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This book, like the earlier Sigma adventure The Devil Colony, was sadly a little bit delayed - though not quite as much, being more like 16 months instead of 24. Somewhat embarrassingly, my library was cool enough to order it as far back as June 2015, only for the book to not come out for six months after that. Therefore, it's now officially the book I've had on hold for the longest time ever.

And what a book to deserve that honor. Sure, the plot may seem like a bit of a rip-off of Rise of the Planet of the Apes with the whole genetically-engineered intelligent ape thing, but at least it doesn't have an ending nearly so tragic as that movie. And besides, Baako's presence in the story helps Kowalski start to finally overcome his long-standing fear of monkeys in general. While we still don't know why he hates them, at least he gets character development in this story as a result.

Then, of course, there's the inevitable Sigma-signature plot of historical intrigue and weird science, and holy crap, does this book deliver on that front. Without going into too much detail, let's just say that I'll never look at the Moon the same way again.

Now to sit back and eagerly await the next Sigma book. But first, I think we're overdue for an adventure featuring Tucker Wayne and his war dog Kane. I'll be keeping an eye out for my library to finally order War Hawk whenever that comes out...

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment