Friday, January 15, 2016

Review: The Searcher

The Searcher The Searcher by Simon Toyne
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I went into this one and found it pretty slow to start, not at all like Sanctus. So, for a little while, I thought this one would be a less worthy addition to the Simon Toyne canon. But after all, this is the author of one of the most underrated, "why isn't this a bloody movie yet?" books of the last five years, so I forged ahead. Eventually, the pacing and action did pick up, enough to overcome the book's relatively weak start, so it now comes recommended by me just like Toyne's previous books. Especially on the basis of the epilogue, in which my one real burning question - is this book realistic or fantastic? - is answered to my satisfaction, even as the book ends on a sizable cliffhanger, definitely Toyne's best since the orange-scented winds of doom from the end of The Key.

My dad gave up on the Sanctus trilogy after the second book (guess the ending was too out-there for him), but I sense he might like this book a little more for its Lee Child-like nature. And I know he laughed when I quoted the "NO GUNS PLEASE - GRAVEYARD IS FULL" sign to him, so that's a good indication there.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment