Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Review: Every Heart a Doorway

Every Heart a Doorway Every Heart a Doorway by Seanan McGuire
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

By sheer coincidence, this is the second book I've read in a row that A) was written by an author native to the Bay Area, and B) includes a number of LGBT+ characters. Just as Pantomime was among the first books I read with an intersex protagonist, this was one of the first I read with an ace protagonist, as well as a trans male lead.

As for the story, it's a short but very sweet - and oh so very dark - exploration of a place not unlike Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children, just darker and more psychological. The monsters are more in the kids' heads than actual monsters, but there's no doubt that every time one of them winds up in a whole other world, they're irretrievably changed, and often not for the better. McGuire's novella is a strange hybrid of not only Miss Peregrine, but also The Magicians.

The only reason I bring this down to four stars is because I often had trouble making sense of the whole "High Logic, High Nonsense" system going on. Props to McGuire, however, for writing such a complex story in such a short space - not even 200 pages!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment