Thursday, July 21, 2016

Review: A Million Suns

A Million Suns A Million Suns by Beth Revis
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Across the Universe definitely held back a few answers to its many questions, which is only for the better as far as its sequel is concerned. A Million Suns, unlike its predecessor, doesn't take its sweet time getting started. From the get-go, we're plunged into a world of moves and countermoves that could make President Snow take notice. (Funnily enough, I'm saying this while watching a House episode guest-starring Beetee himself, Jeffrey Wright, but that's neither here nor there...)

At times, there are some spots where the story stalls, usually those when the power plays take a backseat to the budding relationship between Elder and Amy. I wasn't feeling their chemistry much in the first book, but A Million Suns improves on that - although I still feel like Amy isn't as into it as Elder. I feel more chemistry on Elder's end, and also a lot of sympathy for how clueless he can be sometimes (especially since, when it comes to romance, I'm extremely clueless myself.) I'd like to put it down to him having been raised by the tyrannical idiot Eldest, which means he still doesn't quite know how to be human. Especially in terms of love. Isolation will kill your heart, people. And so will Phydus, to which a fair few people on board Godspeed seem to be addicted, to the point where they're desperate to get it back after Elder does away with it.

The ending of this book, however, perfectly validates my rediscovery of this series, and also sets up a completely different kind of story in Shades of Earth. I'm looking forward to that one even more now, because of how promising it looks.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment