Thursday, July 7, 2016

Review: Staked

Staked Staked by Kevin Hearne
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I can't remember how long it's been since I read an Iron Druid Chronicles book - and it doesn't help that this latest entry in the series has, I think, been delayed. (Though not to the degree we've been seeing lately on the Dresden Files - or, really, any Jim Butcher book.) But like all the best urban fantasy series, this here Atticus O'Sullivan adventure was well worth the wait.

The title is pretty much a dead giveaway that vampires will be the primary threat, but they're not the only problem our globetrotting friends have to deal with. Various fae and gods from a number of pantheons (mostly Slavic) pop into the picture as well, further complicating the plot but not at all distracting from the darkly humorous fun. Of course, the best parts of the story were those with Atticus and Oberon. I'm just a sucker for smart - and smartass - dogs, I guess. I certainly love writing one into my own work (though my dog, unlike Oberon, is a silent snarker.)

One more little thing - just as I cracked the book open, after reading the very helpful recap of the previous Iron Druid novels and novellas, my iPod put on a Rush song before the story finally began in Toronto. Coincidence? I don't think so.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment