Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Review: The Bone Season

The Bone Season The Bone Season by Samantha Shannon
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

So the third book in this series, The Song Rising, is going to finally hit shelves in about six months or so, and having all but forgotten what happened in the first two books, I've decided to reread both The Bone Season and The Mime Order.

Good thing too, because looking at this first book, I realized that in the two years it's been since I read this last, I've managed to forget just about everything that happened. Even some of the highly unique world-building, combining a near-future urban fantasy setting and alternate history so seamlessly. Although I'm a little happy I managed to forget how much of a Beast the Warden was to Paige's Beauty - and that's a pretty kind comparison, because I can also see why a lot of other readers likened him to Leigh Bardugo's Darkling (I'm probably the only one who doesn't like the Darkling, but at least the Warden isn't quite so bad, I don't think.)

But hey, all the points to Shannon for, again, the world-building, especially the super-complex magic system to which all the clairvoyants belong.

Soon I'll be rereading The Mime Order as well, although I'm taking a short break to read another something that's been calling my name for a while.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment