Sunday, August 28, 2016

Review: Storm Front

Storm Front Storm Front by Jim Butcher
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Harry Dresden is a wizard who occasionally consults for the Chicago PD. He looks and acts a little bit like Nicolas Cage's character in The Sorcerer's Apprentice - dark and sarcastic. He's under threat of the Doom of Damocles, meaning any perceived breaking of the Seven Laws of Magic could result in his instant execution. Which seriously impedes his investigation in a very bizarre magical murder.

Hooked? I hope so.

Four years ago, I read this book for the first time and became addicted to The Dresden Files. Now, I'm rereading all the books in anticipation of the next one, Peace Talks, which is, like every other Butcher book lately, delayed. Storm Front is pretty much every bit as good as I remember it - shorter and more simple than some of its follow-ups, but that's okay, because simple - and streamlined - helps make Butcher's debut a hell of a lot of fun.

I've got the next four books already waiting in the wings, and I think I might pick up Codex Alera again soon as well. Because Butcher is a mad genius.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment