Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Review: Transfer of Power

Transfer of Power Transfer of Power by Vince Flynn
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Now I can finally read the first published Mitch Rapp book after reading the two prequels Flynn published before his death...and I have to say, it's striking how much the plot of this book has in common with the movies Olympus Has Fallen and White House Down. It's a pretty standard post-9/11 thriller...except it was released before 9/11, even before 24 and Jack Bauer took the world by storm.

Unlike the two prequel novels, this one was extremely long, which made it a slower read than it should have been. But at least I got to read those and get a little more invested into Flynn's story world than I would have been if I'd read this one first, probably. Although it's a little hard for me to read that Rapp is in his early thirties and not still picture him looking like Dylan O'Brien - his (potential) casting in the American Assassin movie having been the impetus for me picking up Flynn's books to begin with. But at least this book is set in the actual time period in which it was written, so it's not full of confusing anachronisms like the prequels were.

I've got a long way to go before I'm caught up on these books, but I hear that some of the post-Flynn entries in the series will feature crossovers with James Patterson's Alex Cross. That's got me extremely interested - you just can't get enough Alex Cross, in my opinion.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment