Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Review: The Countdown

The Countdown The Countdown by Kimberly Derting
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I was a huge fan, taken, as it were, with The Taking way back in the summer of 2014. Last year's sequel, The Replaced, was still good, though slightly underwhelming, especially on the romance front.

At last, I've read the conclusion to the trilogy, which proved to be quite the mixed bag. The first half was a little slow-moving, and more often than not had me scratching my head, probably because it's been over a year since I read The Replaced. (For whatever reason, my library was extremely late to the party ordering and receiving The Countdown.) I also don't remember the first two books in this trilogy having multiple POVs, but this one does, splicing in POVs from any of the three main male characters in between Kyra's chapters (and, actually adding to the confusion, the boys' POV chapters aren't numbered, and are hard to tell apart without the headers at the beginning of each one indicating who's talking.)

After the slow first half, however, comes a much more addictive, fast-paced, need-to-know-what-happens-next second half, in which lingering questions are answered at a mile a minute. And thank God for that!

So, for this finale to the trilogy, it's a three-star start and a five-star ending, for an average of four stars.

To The Taking, I can now say ave atque vale.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment