Friday, October 7, 2016

Review: Six of Crows

Six of Crows Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

There's a reason why this book comes with Michael Dante DiMartino's seal of approval - it's a lot like Legend of Korra in a few ways, with its primary settings being two different cities in an alternate world. One, Ketterdam, being a sort of early 20th century steampunk city. And the other, an icy city in the northern wastelands of Fjerda.

It's also got a lot of Ocean's Eleven in its DNA, being a heist story as opposed to the magical war that marked the Grisha Trilogy. As a result, in spite of a few lagging stretches of the story, there's some serious action involved in this book, and a rich array of antihero characters with dark pasts. And while most of them aren't magical, the small science still plays a huge role in the plot - because the whole reason for the heist has something to do with a new drug that seriously enhances a Grisha's power, but with nasty, nasty side effects.

Now that we're getting a little more insight into the world of the Grisha trilogy - particularly the lands beyond Ravka - I'm pretty happy. And after re-reading this book in anticipation of Crooked Kingdom (which I've recently picked up at the library and will read after finishing Empire of Storms), I feel compelled to bump up my star rating for this book - because while I did find it a bit slow at times on the first go, this time around, I got a stronger feel for our antiheroes and their distinctive, strong personalities - and I realized just how much of a Kaz I really am. Especially in terms of his interactions with others - more phobic than they (or I) ought to be.

I'm just bummed that Crooked Kingdom is the end of this series...though hopefully not the end of Bardugo's wider Grishaverse.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment