Saturday, October 15, 2016

Review: The Winner's Curse

The Winner's Curse The Winner's Curse by Marie Rutkoski
My rating: 1 of 5 stars

So I've seen a few people loving this series - which I remembered best for the controversy it attracted when the publishers wanted to give the books these Throne of Glass-knockoff covers.

I think I'll still remember it best for that after my ill-fated attempt at getting into it.

I know The Winner's Curse came out before Sabaa Tahir's An Ember In The Ashes, but Tahir's book remains the definitive work of YA sandalpunk for me. Automatically, I have to say I'm prejudiced in Tahir's favor because she writes in first-person, which I strongly prefer to third (which Rutkoski uses.) But Tahir has something else Rutkoski sorely lacks - engaging characters. Rutkoski writing in third person doesn't help us get attached to her characters, but they feel so devoid of personality. Not to mention they keep on throwing out random Roman-sounding words to remind you what the setting is inspired by.

Yeah, I'm officially consigning this one to DNF oblivion.

And one more thing - Jess Pawley's Generation Icarus has the superior lead character named Kestrel. Fight me.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment