Wednesday, December 21, 2016

Review: The Prisoner of Cell 25

The Prisoner of Cell 25 The Prisoner of Cell 25 by Richard Paul Evans
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I remember reading this book a few years ago and initially dismissing it as a Percy Jackson knockoff. Recently, however, a kid started coming to the tutoring center where I work, and he has very similar tics to those of Michael Vey - blinking, gulping, etc. Though I can't say for certain whether or not this new kid has Tourette's, I had that in mind when I decided it was time I took another stab at this book.

Safe to say a reread paid off for me, because now I'm able to more properly see what makes Michael Vey's adventures so successful. This first book, The Prisoner of Cell 25, is a pretty small, relatively bite-sized piece of sci-fi adventure, borderlining between MG and YA territory (my library shelves this series in the YA section, though) and delivering perhaps the earliest example to date (unless you count Danny Phantom, although given that he got his powers by accident, I don't) of an artificially-engineered "chosen one," predating one of the big reveals in The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (my go-to example of this trope, as it was the key inspiration of some of the biggest twists in my own writing) by three years.

For sure, I'm going to be playing a game of catchup on this series going into 2017 - there's already five more books to be read!

Fun fact: I was listening to "Sunglasses At Night" when I came up to a chapter referencing that song in its title. Is there an Electroclan power for making coincidences happen?

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment