Saturday, January 28, 2017

Review: A Book of Spirits and Thieves

A Book of Spirits and Thieves A Book of Spirits and Thieves by Morgan Rhodes
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Taking a break in between Books 4 and 5 of Falling Kingdoms (despite a weapons-grade cliffhanger), I decided it was time I took a look at this half-urban fantasy, half-time-travel Outlander-style spinoff from Morgan Rhodes.

Not unlike its parent series, A Book of Spirits and Thieves is a fun and fast read, if a little bit too loaded with multiple storylines for its own good. Believe it or not, the sections set in Mytica are actually the weakest parts of the story, probably because I've already spent several books there and was a little more interested in how it related to the real world. But even this connection is overshadowed a bit by the interesting dynamic between Crys and Farrell - the former a girl struggling to understand the world she's been unexpectedly thrust into, and the latter a surprisingly complex semi-bad-boy who made me alternate wildly between love-him-and-hate-him. Usually depending on whose POV the story was in at the time.

My only real issue is that the book really seems to end quite abruptly, but of course that only whets my appetite for the sequel.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment