Monday, January 9, 2017

Review: On the Edge of Gone

On the Edge of Gone On the Edge of Gone by Corinne Duyvis
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Dammit, Corinne Duyvis, why must you abuse my feels so?



While I enjoyed Otherbound, for me, Duyvis' second novel is her real star-maker. This mostly owes to her depiction of the autistic MC, Denise. Though I've heard of a fair few books, particularly in YA, with autistic MC's, this, I believe, is the first one I've read. Which for me, being on the spectrum myself with hyperlexia, is a shame. I may not have the exact same condition as Denise down to the letter, but I did see a lot of myself in her. Especially her continuous avoidance of eye contact, aversion to touch (although in my case, I think that might be selective), and her rocking back and forth.

In addition to Denise and the cast of diverse (of course, it's Duyvis) characters (some quite screwed up, some just fighting to survive), this near-future apocalyptic story delivers a propulsive, never-ending stream of action and feels over its 400-plus pages. If you were looking forward to the movie Passengers and were beyond disappointed when THAT TWIST got widely spoiled, then check out this book to satisfy your lost generation-ship story nutrition. (Yeah, I've decided "story nutrition" is a thing. Judge me.) And yes, feels. Plenty of them. Especially right at the end.

I reiterate: Dammit, Corinne Duyvis, why must you abuse my feels so?



Already this is going on my "Lost Gems of 2016" list. Like Illuminae, had I read this one in its calendar year, it would've for sure made my Pinecone Awards Top 5.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment