Monday, January 16, 2017

Review: Rise of the Elgen

Rise of the Elgen Rise of the Elgen by Richard Paul Evans
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Michael Vey returns and continues on the adventure begun in The Prisoner of Cell 25 - specifically, the hunt for his missing mother. This hunt, for which he'll need all the Electroclan's help, takes them out of the US and down to the mountains and jungles of Peru, where the Elgen have themselves another diabolical little prison-slash-science lab, not unlike the School from Maximum Ride or the Evolutionaries from Generation Icarus. Their top product? Electrically charged rats, as the book's cover so proudly displays, common phobias be damned. Evil little Pikachus, essentially.

Although the story itself feels like it really adds next to nothing new to the table, it's still a fast-paced, addictive read. My only real issue is that the ending takes a few leaps of logic to accept - like, did I miss a few key details? Nevertheless, it sets up very effectively for the third book, which I have yet to pick up at the library. But I'll be picking it up soon for sure.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment