Sunday, February 26, 2017

Review: Crystal Storm

Crystal Storm Crystal Storm by Morgan Rhodes
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Finally, the fifth - and, unless I'm much mistaken, penultimate - book in Rhodes' Falling Kingdoms series. After the events of its predecessor, here we get some really unlikely team-ups going on, with just about all the original cast forced to clench their teeth and unite against the bigger threats the whole land of Mytica now faces. Those bigger threats, of course, being the various flavors of Kindred and also Amara.

It's great to see Jonas getting the screen time he deserves, even if it's clear that the story is much more about the likes of Lucia, Cleo, and Magnus (the latter, I'm much more invested in his character now, especially since I really couldn't stand him in the earlier books.) Even King Gaius, I feel a little more sympathy for him, for similar reasons to why I feel just a twinge of sympathy for Victoria Aveyard's Maven...but at least Gaius isn't a complete monster, you know what I mean?

And then all this builds up to a Riordan-grade cliffhanger so nasty that of course Rhodes has to apologize for it in the acknowledgments, except not really, LOL. I admit, at that point, I was thinking...



One more book in the main series to go, and at least two more in that Outlander-style spinoff. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to reread Heir of Fire.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment