Wednesday, February 15, 2017

Review: The Immortal Rules

The Immortal Rules The Immortal Rules by Julie Kagawa
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

So I kinda remember reading this one a few years back, when I was first getting into Julie Kagawa and gobbling up the Iron Fey books right and left, but for whatever reason I slept on this trilogy and didn't really enjoy it enough to complete it. Now, however, I'm glad I took a trip back to The Immortal Rules, because I'm realizing now, five years after its publication when The Walking Dead was in its heyday, this book captures the spirit of what really makes that show great - just with vampires. A roving band of people trying to survive in this post-apocalypse, constantly on alert from a dangerous supernatural threat, and maybe the occasional lip service to the fact that humans can be just as monstrous...but for the love of God, when I ordered this post-apocalyptic sandwich, I asked to hold the nihilistic onions and double the bloody meat, and unlike recent seasons of TWD, Kagawa does a better job of cooking that sandwich to order. Rediscovering this series, while I still think Iron Fey and Talon are better - this opening chapter to Blood of Eden runs a tad bit too long - I realize I have to finish this trilogy in earnest now, if only to redeem myself as a fan of postapocalypses, fantasy dystopians, proper paranormal fun, and Julie Kagawa.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment