Thursday, February 2, 2017

Review: Not If I See You First

Not If I See You First Not If I See You First by Eric Lindstrom
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

My second Aimal Farooq rec in a row, unfortunately, didn't pan out for me the way If I Was Your Girl did. Sure, Not If I See You First boasts some funny moments (a couple of which came from me noticing that main character Parker's cousin is named Petey - gotta love any and all secret Spidey references, right?), the shipping goes in a few unexpected directions, and it's got an always-needed diversity factor going for it, being about a blind girl. Unfortunately, this book falls into a lot of the same pitfalls common to YA contemporary which make me tend to shy away from that genre in general. There isn't much in the way of plot, the characters (supporting cast, anyway) are really nothing new, and I'm particularly unhappy about the opening, being a prologue in which Parker wakes up and starts her day. I've been told so many times that prologues and waking up are writing no-nos that to see books getting published with those features has become quite the pet peeve for me.

Oh well. One more Aimal rec to go, and by all accounts, Life In A Fishbowl looks like it'll be quite the weird, genre-busting dramedy romp.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment