Monday, February 13, 2017

Review: RoseBlood

RoseBlood RoseBlood by A.G. Howard
My rating: 1 of 5 stars

*sigh*

I'm sorry, but as much as I love A.G. Howard and her beautiful books, I couldn't bring myself to finish this one. Not only did I go in with trepidation because I'd heard the book overuses the "Gypsy" slur (to make matters worse, it's the half-Romani narrator who uses it, and it's pretty clear she has no intention of reclamation), not only did I go in with next to no knowledge of The Phantom of the Opera, but I also went in with tons of spoilers and other bad buzz. And you know what? The bad buzz, from the thirty pages I could read before giving up, was warranted, between the hackneyed Mary Sue protagonist with an oddball name and the generally cloying atmosphere. Unlike Splintered, this book absolutely failed to suck me in.

Sorry, A.G. Howard, but I'm not coming back to this one. Though we'll always have Splintered and its sequels.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment