Friday, June 9, 2017

Review: Red Rain

Red Rain Red Rain by R.L. Stine
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

So, after five years, I'm finally reading this book, apparently R.L. Stine's first for adults, and not to be confused with my own someday-to-be-published YA science-fantasy mystery of the same name...and I confess myself disappointed. Well, I'm not surprised, given how shockingly abysmal the GR average for this book is - I don't think I've seen any other book (notwithstanding the outright garbage fires that are legendary here for all the wrong reasons) with such a low rating! And you know what? This book really could've been so much better, and validated all the hype it got from Douglas Preston, Kathy Reichs, Steve Berry, et al. But no, while Stine does some good Stephen King-type material with those angelically demonic twins Daniel and Samuel, he kinda ruins it by slipping in other characters' less interesting lives all over the place, including one surprisingly gross and explicit scene of a guy cheating on his wife with a much younger woman. Unprotected. What is this, American Horror Story? (By which I mean Murder House or Hotel, one of the shitty extra-sexual seasons.)

But hey, at least part of the twist ending of this book called to mind one of my favorite Goosebumps books from my childhood - the most underrated one that made an impact on the 2015 movie, if I remember correctly. (Now that movie is what I prefer to remember Dylan Minnette for. That, and Awake, or Agents of SHIELD - but that's neither here nor there.) So that made up for the blahhhhh parts, though not enough to make me really recommend this book too highly.

One day, maybe my book will take this one's place as the top search result under Red Rain on this site. A guy can dream, no?

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment