Saturday, July 29, 2017

Review: Blood Rose Rebellion

Blood Rose Rebellion Blood Rose Rebellion by Rosalyn Eves
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I first tried reading this one a couple of months ago, and at the time, I couldn't get into it. This time, however, I found it an easier read, and while I can't say I love this book, I was able to finish the whole thing and am still intrigued enough to want to read the sequel, which has a pretty interesting-sounding title and cover, no? As for this one, though, it's a pretty strange little story, an alternate-history fantasy focusing on a very little-known mid-19th-century event, but with the twist that there's magic involved. And that magic is, normally, accessible only to the upper classes - hence the common comparison between this book and Red Queen. It's an upper class that wants to control everyone else, because isn't that what they all want to do? And in this case, there's certain ethnic tension due to Romani involvement (and, Eves being a modern author, she has her heroine learn, very quickly, how inaccurate and insulting the term "Gypsy" is.)

Though Blood Rose Rebellion is a story we've seen time and again in YA, it's also got just enough unique factors that it's really not to be missed - and who knows? The sequels might just get even more interesting.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment