Thursday, July 27, 2017

Review: Ink and Bone

Ink and Bone Ink and Bone by Rachel Caine
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

"What is the most resilient parasite? Bacteria? A virus? An intestinal worm?...An idea."
-Dom Cobb, Inception

"If an item does not appear in our records, it does not exist."
-Jocasta Nu, Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones

I can't believe I've been sleeping on this series for as long as I have, but seeing the third book appear on the Lucky Day shelf of extra copies of new books at the library, I realized I had to start at the beginning. And when I did, I had no idea that I was going into one of the most unique, most inventive pieces of fantasy dystopian in all of YA literature. Alternate history, Twenty Minutes Into The Future, science-fantasy, a wonderfully diverse cast...what more could you ask for?

Well, there's one thing that could really be asked for, and that's a one-of-a-kind villain - or villainous organization, or perhaps two. One of which is the very Erudite-esque Great Library itself. Never thought a Library would be such bad news, did you? In this case, though, they are, being more about controlling the dissemination of information than about spreading the intellectual wealth. Basically, the capitalists of this world, while the Burners (so named for using Greek fire to wipe out the Library around the world) serve as communist anarchists gone extreme. And somewhere in the middle, we have Obscurists, subtracting both the greed of the Library and the violence of the Burners.

This story is longer than it appears, but it's very wonderful and addictive and if you aren't reading it yet, why not? Pick it up immediately, my friends.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment