Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Review: Unravel Me

Unravel Me Unravel Me by Tahereh Mafi
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Want to read? No, I absolutely cannot. This series is too depressing. Oh boy do I! This book is a must must must read!

Wow, everything is wrong in this world - a world that I really hope this one doesn't turn into. And to think, Tahereh Mafi sounds like such a happy bright young woman in her bio, on her website...and yet she writes this sad sad sad moving moving moving and nightmarish

piece

of

pure

literary wonder.

If you haven't noticed by now, I love love love the broken fragment-y writing style Mafi uses.

Feels like one of the closest things to authentic teenager speak (the kind that doesn't use 1 2 3 42 atrocious slangy and/or sweary words every 5 10 20 minutes.)

Feels almost like the way I talk. Like Xander or Topher or Coulson or Fitz or whoever will be the next Joss Whedon Author Avatar. So caffeinated. Buzzy like bees flies mosquitoes buzzing things. Deliciously random stream-of-consciousness language spoken when (to quote MGMT) "time takes a rain check." Escapist pleasure like none other.

Beautiful. And it still holds up four years after I first read it.

And also - great cover. Wish the first book had started with this cover style, it's a real improvement. Cannot wait to reread Ignite Me and then move on to the new trilogy, whenever I get my hands on the first of those books!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment