Friday, July 21, 2017

Review: We Are the Ants

We Are the Ants We Are the Ants by Shaun David Hutchinson
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I guess I'm reading Shaun David Hutchinson's books in reverse order? Okay then, that's cool. Between this book and At the Edge of the Universe, I've got no problem picking up on a few elements of what seems to be a signature Hutchinson style. Contemporary with sci-fi elements, a gay protagonist making very bad choices because he's very depressed after his first relationship failed, a jackass older brother, family troubles in general, bullyboys...except, in this case, one of the bullyboys is closeted and likes to hook up with our protagonist (or as Hutchinson's narrators seem to like to call it, "fool around"), all in secret, of course. And then there's the mysterious new boy for whom our protagonist falls, who turns out to be into him as well, but has to deal with his dark and troubled past. Also, a ton of triggering elements, ranging from abusive relationships to miscarriages to a grandmother with Alzheimer's and suicide and pictures of assault on the internet and attempted rape.

Yeah, really, it feels like a lot of story elements from this book resurfaced in Hutchinson's next one, but in the latter, I feel like he did it better. I think this one felt a little more detached, but then that was probably the point, highlighting certain insignificances in the grand scheme of things.

Not gonna lie, though. Henry and Diego make a far better couple than any featured in Edge, except Tommy and Ozzie, perhaps. I especially liked how Diego gives this book some bi rep (or possibly pan - it's left ambiguous.)

Next up on my reverse time-travel course through the works of Mr. Hutchinson: The Five Stages of Andrew Brawley. Why my library doesn't have it, though, I'm really not sure.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment