Monday, August 7, 2017

Review: Paper and Fire

Paper and Fire Paper and Fire by Rachel Caine
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I was warned that this second book of The Great Library was a bit of a come-down from Ink and Bone, but thankfully, Paper and Fire is only a slight case of Sophomore Slump, unlike, say, Michael Grant's Hunger or Susan Dennard's Windwitch. More like the Scorch Trials book compared to The Maze Runner (not the movie, though - the movie was a vast improvement.) The main issues I had with this book were its somewhat erratic pacing - mostly faster in the beginning, and really slowing down in the middle or so - and also the fact that it felt rather like filler and relied on a few too-predictable twists. Nevertheless, for its flaws, this book sets up its sequel very effectively, especially with a cliffhanger ending that finally brings to the forefront a facet of this world that's been largely neglected thus far, and will make things really interesting in Book 3, of that I'm sure. Seriously, this series needs to be made into a movie yesterday - and I mean a movie, not a low-budget Netflix series.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment