Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Review: The Silence

The Silence The Silence by Mark Alpert
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I'm really bummed that this is going to be the final book in this trilogy - especially since The Silence, in addition to a title that evokes certain Doctor Who memories, really gets into Doctor Who territory with its terrifying implications for not only humanity's future, but humanity's present as well. Not for nothing did this book, according to Alpert, begin as a ghost story - and it's a pretty damn scary one, with some serious twists that borrow liberally from a certain famous sci-fi film franchise, but I can't tell you which one without spoilers. But those twists, borrowed though they may be, are so unexpected that they really help conspire to cement this trilogy's reputation as some of the smartest YA sci-fi you're not reading, and why the hell is that?

To The Six, The Siege, and The Silence, I now say ave atque vale, though I still wish there could be more. At least I can read some of Alpert's other work, which I've totally been neglecting in the months since I discovered The Six.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment