Thursday, September 14, 2017

Review: Black Moon

Black Moon Black Moon by Romina Russell
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I'm a little bummed that this third book of the Zodiac series takes another slight dip in quality - four stars for the first book, three and a half (rounded up to four) for the second, and now a straight up three stars here. It's nothing to do with the characters, really - Rho and Hysan, in particular, are some of the most shippable leads I've seen in YA, easily. But the storyline feels a little repetitive at this point, with Ochus being always in the shadows with inscrutable motives even after three books, and with each book being only 300 pages, they don't contain nearly as much as I hope they would. But at least there's a different threat each time, though - just Ochus in Book 1, the Marad in Book 2, and now a sinister group that makes a little more sense now that I've recently re-read Shadow and Bone, and also feels oddly prescient considering the book came out in 2016 but was no doubt written long before the rise of a certain leftist political subset in this country that makes idealistic promises to hide its intentions of breaking the wheel at the cost of progress.

But I digress.

I certainly can't give up now, though, not with that cliffhanger, Russell's most diabolical yet...and now I need to either order Thirteen Rising at the library or sneakily read it while hand-selling it at the bookstore. (Except how silly would that be, me hand-selling the fourth book only?)

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment