Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Review: Dumplin'

Dumplin' Dumplin' by Julie Murphy
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This month's book club read at work was a little not my style, though certainly good as another #ownvoices read I've spent some time sleeping on. Though Dumplin' wasn't quite to my taste, it had more than its share of small moments of relatable humor - like Will's laments early on about how people in relationships always get way too public with their displays of affection - and some very well-written relationship drama. I think the biggest flaws this book had were a few too many characters, and the pageant storyline taking over the book slowly but surely to the point where the latter half starts to feel repetitive, and finally a very abrupt ending that doesn't really tie the story up - though at least there'll be a sequel, Puddin', next year. But I can tell you that for what it's worth, this book, the first Julie Murphy novel I've read, is pretty lighthearted and fun and really not to be missed by the YA audience.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment