Sunday, November 26, 2017

Review: Queens of Geek

Queens of Geek Queens of Geek by Jen Wilde
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I'm not sure if my own book will get published through SwoonReads, but if it does, it'll be in good company with the likes of Alex Evansley's Love Scene, Take Two, and also with Jen Wilde's Queens of Geek. A short but sweet piece of borderline YA/NA contemporary, Wilde's book drips with fandom references and fandom fun, and terrific autistic and bi rep brought to the table by our two co-protags, Taylor and Charlie, respectively. I relate to them both so very much on so many levels, as well as to Jaime because he's so very much me, especially down to his Peter Parker resemblance. (Though, for some reason, I picture him looking a little more like Holland than Garfield, but that's okay.)

Is it coincidence that I special-ordered this book from the San Diego library just to get my chance to read it? I don't think so.

I've seen a few other reviews that say this book suffers from a lack of plot and poor dialogue, to which I say, what were you expecting, a plot as detailed of the in-universe hit Firestone books? You go into this book for light, fluffy stuff - and a fair few moments where our heroes have to crack down on micro- and macro-aggressions - and you'll hopefully come out with a smile on your face at the end. Kinda like when you read a Becky Albertalli book - that's the easiest comparison I can think of, though I find this book better than any of Albertalli's releases thus far, if only because it's a little more inclusive of fandoms that aren't Harry Potter and doesn't have more characters than it really needs. Just the ones we need to get most invested in. (And Reese, who's an epic asshole and needs to get gone immediately.)

So, basically, five stars to this book for fun alone. And rep, of course. Can't forget that great rep, especially since, again, I share marginalizations with both of Wilde's protags.

And with my own first-ever convention visit coming up in exactly a week from now, how strange would it be if this book proved in any way prophetic for me?

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment