Sunday, December 3, 2017

Review: Expelled

Expelled Expelled by James Patterson
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I'll give this book four stars if only because of Theo and Jude - a terrific narrator and a terrific Stiles, and even better, a Stiles they actually, on the page, write as openly bi rather than leaving it ambiguous and up to our headcanons. Sasha deserves mention too, because she's a very complicated character, much more so than I tend to expect Patterson to deliver. Though maybe that's his cowriter Emily Raymond's hand at work. Overall, this story is a longer one than it should be, and a little repetitive too, but the character dynamics are the saving grace. That said, though, I'm obligated to give you some trigger warnings for suicide, rape, and parental abuse - and the last two, especially, take those warnings seriously. The ending of this book made me more than a little queasy, especially since this isn't the first Patterson YA book to include it this year alone.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment