Sunday, December 10, 2017

Review: Flashfall

Flashfall Flashfall by Jenny Moyer
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

After taking part in a BBTC chat with author Jenny Moyer in anticipation of this book's sequel, I realized I had to read the original for the first time - a book that somehow managed to fly under my radar, probably because of how YA dystopians are supposedly dead thanks to overexposure from the likes of Divergent, The Maze Runner, Red Queen, etc.

Flashfall, however, feels like a still-pretty-fresh spin on the genre, combining elements of The Maze Runner - solar-flare-induced apocalypse, lots of monsters in underground tunnels and the like - and Arclight, particularly in terms of this book also boasting a weird light barrier between the sheltered world and the broken remains of the world beyond.

The story itself treads fairly familiar ground, but its real strength is the characters, particularly Dram and Orion. They're tough, both of them, and of course they're in love, but I never once feel like they're in love just to satisfy the typical requirements of a YA novel. Their relationship feels genuinely sweet, and I'm honestly terrified that because I love them as a couple, the sequel is going to sink this ship in the worst possible ways.

But I'm going to read the sequel, hopefully soon, and if I don't enjoy it as much as I did this book, I'll be very surprised.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment