Monday, December 25, 2017

Review: Made for Love

Made for Love Made for Love by Alissa Nutting
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

At the bookstore, my friend Harry told me about how amazing this book was, and encouraged me to pick it up myself as soon as possible. Which I did, and while I expected a lot of humor just from the promise of a woman learning about her dad's creepy life-size sexbot (hence the title, huh?), I sure as hell didn't expect this book to be as smart and critical as it was. And that's a good thing, that Nutting was able to subvert my expectations so well. The sexbot stuff is funny, as is the separate storyline (until it eventually meets the main one) of Jasper, a con man who almost resembles an Americanized version of Javier from Good Behavior, aside from an inexplicable fetish for dolphins that wouldn't be out of place on SNL. But the real story of Hazel is the source of this book's genius, the story of a woman struggling to find herself and her identity when her soulless tech CEO husband wants to keep her collected and captured like a butterfly through the assistance of a sinister mind-meld - sorry, mind-control - chip.

Though Harry's warned me that Nutting's previous book is...rather disgusting, to say the least, Made for Love was, for me, a terrific first taste of Nutting's talent, and one I'll be able to happily hand-sell to customers at work. If the subject matter doesn't somehow manage to put them off, that is, but I hope it doesn't, for the reader's sake.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment