Saturday, December 23, 2017

Review: Timekeeper

Timekeeper Timekeeper by Tara Sim
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I'm not at all surprised Victoria Schwab blurbed this one - Tara Sim's debut would pair magnificently with Schwab's signature work, the Darker Shade trilogy. Welcome, my friends, to another alternate 19th century England, later in the century than Schwab wrote in her famous trilogy, but no less magical for it. Maybe a little too magical, in that the magic system isn't quite as well-explained as I'd hope for, but that's okay. It's really all about the fairytale quality of the story, anyway, with the forbidden love between clock spirits and the human mechanics tasked with their maintenance. Clock spirits prone to self-harm, even when they're already getting hurt by terrorists with pipe bombs. So that alone lends this story some pretty strong feels, and when the main ship in this book is m/m too? Well, I'm sold. And soon, I'll hopefully get my superiors to restock on Timekeeper - and its soon-to-publish sequel Chainbreaker at the bookstore. Well, one team lead did say she was looking to sell more queer YA, after all... :)

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment