Sunday, January 14, 2018

Review: The Demon Crown

The Demon Crown The Demon Crown by James Rollins
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Scary coincidence that the day after an accidental Emergency Alert went out to the citizens of Hawaii that ballistic missiles were coming, I read this book, in which a major biological threat gets Sigma Force seriously contemplating nuking the same islands for quarantine purposes.

For the thirteenth Sigma Force novel, Rollins seriously pulls out all the stops, giving us monster-movie horror on the level of Jurassic Park (the original, or Jurassic World, that is), or Alien. It's even more terrifying for me because the main threat in this book, genetically engineered parasitic killer wasps, is one of my biggest fears. So even now, as I type this review, I'm itching like nobody's business. But for jacking up the monster-movie game to levels worthy of a Marvel movie budget, and giving Sigma super-personal stakes (especially for Gray and Seichan), and especially for those gnarly as hell wasp-POV chapters, Rollins here presents the best Sigma book in a while. Best since Eye of God, at least, if not The Doomsday Key or even Map of Bones, which is still my favorite. Scary this book may have been for too many reasons, but I managed to devour it all in one sitting. That's how good it is, my friends.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment