Tuesday, June 5, 2018

Review: Vermilion

Vermilion Vermilion by Molly Tanzer
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Recommended by my good friend Harry, this is my first time reading a book by Molly Tanzer, and it's clear to me that she's slipped under my radar too long. This story of Lou, a late 19th-century psychopomp with mixed Chinese heritage and a tendency for gender fluidity in her presentation, is pretty well-tailored to Harry's style, and very appealingly so too. There's a lot of darkness to go around, and some dark humor too - witness Lou's first scene where she talks to a particularly reluctant to leave spirit, one who's got good reason to keep on haunting her nasty little ex. And then Shai comes in. Ah...Shai. Harry tells me Shai might be getting his own novel at some point? I'll be very happy to read it if Tanzer writes it. Until then, I'll happily recommend this book to anyone who's a fan of Laura Lam's Micah Grey trilogy, or the movie A Cure for Wellness.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment