Thursday, July 5, 2018

Review: Blackfish City

Blackfish City Blackfish City by Sam J. Miller
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

My first taste of Sam J. Miller's work, and I'm actually really sorry that first taste wasn't The Art of Starving - which I've gone ahead and ordered at the library. But this book? I'm sorry to say it didn't really deliver like I was hoping for. Maybe I should've looked a little closer at the cover and seen the endorsement by Ann Leckie more properly. I didn't like the Imperial Radch trilogy, like, at all, and this book treads some similar stylistic ground - which made this book almost impossible for me to really enjoy. I found myself not caring about any of the characters in the main narrative, with the exception of Soq - they were pretty cool. Everyone else, though? They were either "Ankit who?" or "Fill's a horny piece of crap and I don't like being in his head anymore." Probably the best thing about this book is that it's full of diversity, especially with regards to queerness - especially-especially with Soq, whom, as you'll note above, uses they/them pronouns. And it's got a glitzy cover too. But aside from that, it's just one of those really weird, detached narratives (again, a lot in the style of Ann Leckie) that really just isn't for me, I'm sorry to say.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment