Saturday, July 7, 2018

Review: The Hazel Wood

The Hazel Wood The Hazel Wood by Melissa Albert
My rating: 1 of 5 stars

It's not often that I get a book that I find severely overhyped, but I'm sorry to say that The Hazel Wood is the latest addition to that list. Promising to be kind of another Alice in Wonderland retelling, it does play out a little like the Splintered trilogy in that it's heavy on the meta-fiction style, stories within stories and dreamy imagery and all that. But unlike Splintered, I couldn't bring myself to care one whit about this Alice. Or any of the other characters in this book, really, save for one - who of course winds up dying, and somehow coming back later, and...and by that point, I found myself skimming through the book because I'd just plain lost interest. This book just wound up trying too hard to imitate Holly Black for me, much to its detriment. Really, that one character who dies was the glue keeping me attached to this story. So I'm going to consider this one a DNF.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment