Thursday, April 16, 2015

Review: Red Queen


Red Queen
Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard

My rating: 5 of 5 stars



Definitely, this is one of the most-hyped books of the year so far. Having read it, I've decided that...yes, it does in fact deserve the hype.

Of all the Hunger Games-style dystopians out there (and this is when my iPod decides to start playing "The Hanging Tree," natch), this one comes closest to matching THG's bizarre blend of post-apocalyptic poverty and technology. It just has a fantasy twist to go with it and make it even better. I'm thinking the science-fantasy dystopian (also well-embodied by Black City, Lunar Chronicles, Dorothy Must Die, and Snow Like Ashes) might be the subgenre we should all be keeping an eye on. As for keeping eyes on things, Mare is way up there with Katniss, Hermione, and Six on the list of Best YA Heroines EVER.

Things we need right now:

* The movie of this book now so she can even join the BAMF Girls' Club! (I vote for Maisie Williams to play Mare.) :)
* The second book.
* Not necessarily in that order, of course.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment