Thursday, July 2, 2015

Review: Crimson Bound

Crimson BoundCrimson Bound by Rosamund Hodge
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This latest addition to the annals of YA Fairytale Adaptations is a pretty strange one. It's based on Little Red Riding Hood, but pretty loosely, and includes even more Big Bad Wolves (a whole race of them, in fact) to contend with. It's set in a fantasy kingdom that's essentially France in all but name (if the characters' names are anything to go by.) It's got a well-done love triangle, the kind where you have trouble determining which of the guys the girl's gonna get with in the end.

However, at the same time, the story is pretty muddled and confusing. I had more than a bit of trouble telling characters apart sometimes, and the distinction between "forest-born," "bloodbound," etc. was lost on me for a good chunk of the time.

I did manage to fight through the confusion, though, and in the end, the story was fairly satisfying. If there's a sequel, I'll probably not try to be first in line for it, but I'll certainly check it out. :)

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment