Monday, December 21, 2015

Review: Tandem

Tandem Tandem by Anna Jarzab
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

I wanted to like this one because of the glowing praise from Marie Lu, and also for its hooky premise of parallel universes. And indeed, the parallel universes are the book's greatest strength, as it allows for some seriously excellent world-building. But sadly, this one wonderful aspect is saddled with a tired, hackneyed plot and characters who just didn't engage me as well as they should have.

Ironically, I'm currently reading another book that has a similar hackneyed plot going on - Aimee Carter's Pawn. However, Carter writes the story well enough that her plot feels less "been there, done that" than this one.

If you want a romance-driven parallel-universe story, I'd suggest the Unraveling duology instead. Those books have the tension, action, and X-Files-ness that this one lacks.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment