Sunday, February 14, 2016

Review: The Abduction

The Abduction The Abduction by Jonathan Holt
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

At this point, I think it's safe to say that the supernatural side of the Gothic, which I hoped this series would explore, is being left by the wayside. However, what this series lacks in the typical genre trappings, it makes up for with its intense psychological scares as it challenges the "official" US definitions of terror, and with a guinea pig who's perfect for this experiment in the eyes of those who have devised it. It doesn't help, of course, that the whole thing is being broadcast live over the most popular Dark Web site on Earth - Carnivia. You'd think that Daniele Barbo would immediately put a stop to this, especially given his own dark history. But notwithstanding the fact that there might be no story if Daniele were to intervene, he's such an odd duck when it comes to working the authorities anyway. Can you say, "complicated?"

I just wish Holt could have done more with the Vatican conspiracy in this book. It felt like it didn't even belong in this story at all, and I actually found myself forgetting all about it most of the time. And besides, I thought the first book was all about the whole Vatican thing anyway.

All in all, though, a good middle part to the Carnivia Trilogy.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment